Thursday, March 12, 2015

Teaching the Digital Way.....

The ISTE Standards for Teachers helps us to focus on what is necessary to promote digital learning and mastery with our students and for ourselves.

Section Two is about designing and developing digital age learning experiences and assessments.

If I were to rank myself on substandards B, C, and D....it would be a tie! I am pretty weak in all of these areas. However, in order to complete this post I will say it goes like this:

1. D - Provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards, and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.
This is probably my strongest area. I believe checking for understanding often and more and more often I am using digital means to do that. I know that I can strengthen this area by exploring and creating assessments and then passing them on to teachers and classes.

2. B - Develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.
I have dabbled in this as a classroom teacher. It was always engaging for students when they could choose the topic and then choose a way to represent their learning. I think using rubrics also helps students to focus and manage their own learning. I can become better at this standard by helping teachers develop ways for students to track their progress digitally.

3. C - Customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.
This is probably my weakest area because it demands that I let go of some of the control in my classroom by allowing students to be working on different things at different times and trusting that they are taking advantage of the freedom to enhance their education. PLUS, it takes A LOT of time to research all they possibilities for students. I can get better at this by creating at least some differentiation in activities and allowing students to choose what best fits their style.

I think what has changed the most for me is my AWARENESS. There is so much out there to choose from and use to make learning more challenging, engaging, and digital. I also feel SLIGHTLY more comfortable incorporating digital learning into my life....but for this old lady....it has been tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment