Thursday, November 23, 2017

Grateful for my 6th graders....

     Being back in the classroom has been both terrifying and joyful. After four years, I have forgotten so many tricks and my abilities to teach the "standards" need a little refresher course. Curriculum has changed, student need has changed, some of the "rules" have changed, but one thing that has not changed is how much I love being with students everyday. On the first day, the easy days, the short days, and yes, even on the hard days. I love going to school and greeting each one of them at the door. 
     Sixth graders are a unique breed, an exhausting and refreshing mix of independence and need, of sass and sweet, of love you and "omg, you are so not cool Ms. K.". Everyday I am amazed by them and I go to sleep and wake up thinking of ways that I can challenge, inspire, motivate and sometimes just control them! 
     They make me smile and laugh. They make me worry and drive me crazy. They tell me bad jokes and endless stories about their favorite football teams. They complain when they have to work with girls and blush when they have to work with boys. They enjoy reading and recess, but not picking up after themselves. 
     They make me grateful everyday that I have such a diverse and unique group of young people to spend time with! I am so happy to be back in the classroom and spending my days with 6th graders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment